Our Sell My Car process is fast
Go Auto’s free Sell My Car service is simple. Receive a firm offer to sell or trade in your vehicle within 24 hours. We accept all makes and models.
1. Get an estimated value in less than a minute
Send basic details about your car, truck, or SUV via the form above. In a few seconds you will see a trade-in value based on our estimated price range.
2. Reading your estimated trade-in value
The figure at the top right of the screen is an estimated trade-in value for your vehicle. We use the Canadian Black Book as a guide for valuations. The highest range are the cleanest models of your make and model. The lowest, or less clean, rougher models are at the lowest end of the range.
3. Book inspection
Hit the Book Inspection button (visible once you have your valuation) and book in just 60 seconds. Select a dealership by make or distance, and then book the date and time.
Our Sell My Car appraisal process
Go Auto's car appraisal specialists will look over the key parts of your vehicle to give you a better-than-fair trade-in price.
We’ll check your car:
- Year and kilometres of your vehicle
- Exterior and interior condition
- Aftermarket modifications
- Maintenance history (make sure to bring warranty documents or records of non-Go Auto maintenance)
- Reconditioning costs including mechanical issues (determined by a test drive)
We’ll check the market:
- Any recalls or service messages for your make/model/year
- Current market conditions (sales trends and auction data)
- Go Auto’s inventory needs
Why trade in with
Get my estimate
Get more money
If we see a vehicle we like, we'll pay more to get it because we’re confident we can find a buyer for it. We have 60+ dealerships we can sell from and the largest customer database of buyers looking for specific vehicles - 200,000 people visit GoAuto.ca every month.
Fast, free car appraisal
Our appraisal process is free with no obligation to take an offer we present to you. Even if you are planning to sell to someone else, we're happy to give you a second opinion.
Get paid fast
If you don't want to put your trade-in money towards another vehicle, we can get you cash the same day or within 24 hours if you accept our offer later in the day. Avoid the hassle of a private sale and waiting on payment.
You don’t need to trade
We'll buy your vehicle even if you don't want to buy something new from a Go Auto dealership. We're just looking for pre-owned vehicles. We're not looking to rope you into a vehicle you don't want to buy.
No obligation offer
You’ll receive our offer in-person, via text, or email. Our Sell My Car (or truck or SUV) offer is good for seven days, so take time to think it over. If you have questions, contact the appraiser. This service is free, with no conditions attached, so you have nothing to lose.
Ready to accept our offer?
If you’re happy with our offer, contact the dealership that responded to your request for the next steps. Ensure you have your registration and insurance with you. If you only want to sell your vehicle and not trade-in, we can get you cash the same day or within 24 hours. In the unlikely event that you don’t hear back from us within 24 hours, please contact your preferred store.
Selling to Go Auto vs other dealerships vs privately
There are three primary buyers for used vehicles: Go Auto, dealerships, and private buyers. Below, we take a look at the pros and cons of each kind of buyer and the eight main areas you should consider when selling.
- When you trade-in a vehicle, you only pay GST/HST on any additional purchase price. For example, if you accept our offer of $16,000 for your trade and buy a new one for $30,000, you’ll only pay GST/HST on the $14,000 difference. You save $100s of dollars in tax. The actual figure will depend on which province you live in.
What you'll be offered
- Go Auto is made up of more than 50 dealerships - this means more cash for you or a better trade-in value. If we see a vehicle we like, we'll pay more to get it. Our database is massive and more than 200,000 people use GoAuto.ca every month.
- Our Sell My Car process is thorough and transparent. There’s no guesswork and no low-balling.
Sell or trade
- We’ll buy your vehicle even if you don’t want to buy from Go Auto. We’re not here to persuade you to buy a vehicle you don’t want or need. We like buying from their owners instead of auctions companies. This allows us to hear first-hand accounts of the vehicle's history.
- Our Sell My Car process is fast! It’s possible for you to sell your truck for cash or trade in your car or SUV in 24 hours.
- At Go Auto, we take care of all the paperwork and documentation for you.
- Go Auto’s dealerships are registered in the province in which they do business and operate under government regulations.
- We complete a thorough inspection and meet all provincial licensing standards council. E.g.: AMVIC, OMVIC, VSA.
- Most dealerships should be able to give the same tax savings that Go Auto provides.
What you'll be offered
- Independent dealerships can’t match Go Auto’s inventory, so there’s no competitive bidding on your vehicle, and no large database of customers - some of whom are searching for your vehicle. Not all dealerships pay cash for vehicles; they only offer trade-ins.
- Most dealerships will check the Canadian Black Book (or equivalent) when they make you an offer, but they may also consider additional factors, such as their monthly targets, current inventory, or time of year/season. These may affect their offer, often making it lower.
Sell or trade
- Not all dealerships buy cars or trucks for cash. Some will only accept trade-ins, and there may be restrictions about what model and make they’ll accept as a trade.
- The time you spend with a dealership will vary, depending on their priorities. Some may draw out the valuation process. Others won’t pay cash for your truck or car, and will only do trade-ins. Neither scenario is a convenient way to trade-in or sell your vehicle.
- The dealership should handle the paperwork, although the process may not be thorough, and you could find yourself making multiple, unnecessary trips back to the location.
- Most dealerships are legitimate businesses.
- Dealerships are required to complete a basic provincial inspection.
Here are the key things you need to consider if you decide to sell privately.
Tax savings and what you'll be offered
If you sell privately, you won’t save tax on your next purchase at one of our Go Auto dealerships.
What you'll be offered
You’ll need to manage all your own advertising. You’ll get plenty of lowballers who are looking for a great deal but aren’t willing to pay for it. You’ll be dealing directly with strangers. Some buyers will do a quick search for your vehicle’s model, make and year, and send you an offer based on the lowest price they see.
A handful of buyers will appreciate a good used car, truck, or SUV, and give you close to what you’re asking. However, most prospective buyers are simply interested in the best deal they can get and will walk away if you don’t lower your asking price to match their offer.
Sell or trade
It's usually not possible to trade in your car with a private buyer, although occasionally you can find someone who’s open to trading what you have. The chances of finding the match you’re both looking for are slim.
Selling privately can time out of your busy schedule. You to deal with banks or coordinate the sale of your vehicle. Pressure to complete the sale may arise if you’ve found the next vehicle you want to buy. Some inquiries will be from time wasters.
The processes involved in selling or trading-in a vehicle vary from province to province. It’s your responsibility to understand what’s involved and what information you must give to a buyer.
Be wary of anything that seems like a scam and trust your gut feelings. Try your best to meet your respective buyers in a safe place.
Private sellers do not need to provide and inspection.
What is the best way to sell my car for cash?
Go Auto’s process is fast and safe, and you get an above-market-value offer.
How does Go Auto estimate the value of my vehicle?
Go Auto looks at mileage, condition, and various market factors to produce an offer. See our Sell My Car process above for the full evaluation details.
What paperwork do I bring to sell my car?
Bring the ownership information - registration and insurance documents. If you’re not a Go Auto customer, the vehicle’s maintenance history and warranty information may be required.
How do I protect myself when selling a car?
Protect yourself by understanding the approximate value of your vehicle and the sales process. Then aim to get the best offer possible for your vehicle.
Does selling a financed car hurt my credit rating?
No, selling a financed car will not hurt your credit rating. If you sell privately, you’ll need to coordinate paying off your existing auto loan. If you accept an offer from Go Auto, we’ll help take care of your loan and you won’t need to worry about a thing.
How old should a used car be?
Go Auto takes all makes and models of trucks, cars, and SUVs, regardless of condition. The vehicles evaluated price will reflect its over-all trade-in value.
How long does it take to sell a car?
You could sell your car or truck in 24 hours with Go Auto. Selling to other dealers or privately can take longer.
What increases a car’s resale value?
Following the maintenance schedule is the easiest way to increase your car’s resale value. Prove it is damage-free by picking up a CARFAX report if you’re selling privately or to some other dealers. If you trade-in to or sell with Go Auto we will purchase the CARFAX report on your behalf. Keep the interior clean and tidy and wash and wax regularly. Take care of dents, scratches, or any rust.
Is it better to sell privately or trade in my car?
Selling your vehicle privately involves a lot of lag work and isn’t for everyone. If you would like a fair market price for your vehicle and the peace-of-mind that comes from dealing with knowledgeable automotive professionals, then trading in or selling your vehicle to a dealership will be the right option for you.
What site gives the most accurate car value?
Most automotive websites will give roughly the same valuation ranges if they are using the Canadian Black Book, the Canadian Red Book (powered by CARFAX), and the newer Kelley Blue Book. Go Auto uses the Canadian Black Book because we believe it’s the most accurate tool for tracking the value of vehicles. It’s been around since 1955 and gathers data from a wide range of sources.